YamahaMotor Corporation, USA, today announced the new 2020 YZF-R1M and YZF-R1 Supersport motorcycles, featuring evolutionary engine refinement, augmented electronic control features, enhanced suspension performance, advanced bodywork with outstanding aerodynamic performance, and next-generation R-Series design. As the company’s flagship R World models, the new 2020 YZF-R1M (R1M) and YZF-R1 (R1) deliver improved handling and rideability with more electronic control for mastering both the street and track.
R History. Your Future. We R1.
Yamaha has a rich heritage of building the most sought after Supersport motorcycles designed to deliver the pinnacle of performance on and off the track. Based on 22 years of proven race-winning engineering, the 2020 Yamaha R1M and R1 are forged from the technology and development gained from countless challenges in MotoGP, World Superbike, and MotoAmerica Superbike races, and the grueling demands of Endurance World Championship racing. From crossplane crankshaft engines to revolutionary electronics such as the six-axis Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU), Yamaha’s historical achievements have become the future of R World.
Refined CP4 Engine
The new 2020 R1M and R1 come equipped with the next generation of Yamaha’s unique 998cc inline four-cylinder crossplane crankshaft engine for refined performance. Returning features such as titanium fracture-split connecting rods and offset cylinders contribute to a responsive and potent character, while the cylinder head, fuel injectors, finger-follower rocker arms, and camshaft profiles are new for 2020.
An all-new Accelerator Position Sensor with Grip (APSG) ride-by-wire system with Yamaha’s Chip Controlled Throttle (YCC-T) eliminates throttle cables and reduces weight while providing smoother throttle operation.
Augmented Electronics Package for More Rider Control
The most technologically advanced electronics package in Yamaha’s supersport lineup complements the evolutionary engine of the new 2020 R1M and R1. Yamaha’s proprietary six-axis Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) continues to be the key feature of the package, and processes real-time vehicle attitude and wheel speed data for new Brake Control (BC) technology that gives riders the option to choose between two intervention modes for enhanced braking control. Riders can select a “BC1” setting for enhanced upright, straight-line braking, or a “BC2” setting for enhanced braking into corners, where intervention timing increases with a deeper lean angle. A new Engine Brake Management (EBM) system also allows the rider to select between three levels of engine braking force to suit their individual preference or riding situation on the road or track. Both the BC and EBM settings are adjustable through onboard Yamaha Ride Control (YRC) and Yamaha’s Y-TRAC smartphone (Android only) and tablet app (Android and iOS).
Enhanced Suspension Performance
Premium Öhlins Electronic Racing Suspension (ERS) has been a staple of the R1M’s chassis performance, and a new NPX pressurized front fork with a gas cylinder built into the front fork axle bracket, along with revised rear shock settings to complement the performance of the front fork, are features of the new 2020 model. With rider adjustability options through YRC settings and Y-TRAC, the new Öhlins ERS suspension package takes the R1M to the next level of performance.
The 2020 YZF-R1 also receives suspension performance enhancements courtesy of a new KYB front fork with a new internal shim stack design, and a KYB rear shock with revised internal settings. Together, the changes result in smoother suspension dampening paired with an improved feeling of contact and grip with the street or track surface.
Advanced Bodywork with Next Generation R-Series Design
Redesigned bodywork contributes to higher-quality performance and a more comfortable rider fit. The new design creates a 5.3% increase in aerodynamic efficiency while reducing wind noise and pressure on the rider when in a tucked position, and improved comfort comes from smoother side sections where the rider’s legs contact the bike. The 2020 R1M also receives a new carbon fiber tail cowl to accompany the existing carbon fiber passenger seat cowl.
New lightweight, compact LED twin headlights optimize illumination for both the low and high beam, and combine with the redesigned body styling to create a new front face symbolizing the next-generation of R-Series design.
The new 2020 YZF-R1M will initially be available in limited quantities exclusively through Yamaha’s online reservation system in a Carbon Fiber color scheme for an MSRP of $26,099. Customer-selected Yamaha dealerships will begin receiving reserved orders in September. To place a reservation, visit https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/yzf-r1m-reserve.
The new 2020 YZF-R1 will be available in Team Yamaha Blue and Raven color schemes for an MSRP of $17,300 and will begin arriving at Yamaha dealers in September.
- Redesigned cylinder head, fuel injectors, finger-follower rocker arms, and camshaft profiles
- APSG ride-by-wire system with YCC-T
- Brake Control (BC) and Engine Brake Management (EBM) for a total of seven independently-adjustable electronic control rider aids
- Öhlins ERS NPX front fork with integrated gas cylinder and optimized rear shock settings (R1M)
- KYB upside-down front fork with new internal shim stack design
- Optimized settings for linked-type Monocross KYB rear shock
- Next-generation R-Series redesigned bodywork with outstanding aerodynamic efficiency
- Carbon fiber tail cowl (R1M)
- Bridgestone RS11 Battlax Racing Street tires with updated tread design
- New front brake pad friction material for excellent control while
- Compact combustion chamber and large-diameter intake/exhaust valves (intake 33 mm, exhaust 26.5 mm)
- Twin-injector fuel injection
- Forged aluminum bridge-box pistons
- Titanium fracture-split (FS) connecting rods
- Offset cylinders
- Crank inertial moment engineered to achieve linear throttle response
- 4-2-1 midship muffler with two variable exhaust routes (based on rpm)
- A&S clutch
- Aluminum Deltabox frame
- Forced air intake
- Aluminum fuel tank with 4.5-gallon capacity
- Cast magnesium wheels
- 320mm front brake discs and four-piston monobloc calipers
- Öhlins Electronic Racing Suspension (ERS) (R1M only)
- Six-axis Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) for three-dimensional vehicle attitude detection
- Yamaha Ride Control (YRC) technology
- Traction Control System (TCS)
- Slide Control System (SCS)
- Lift control system (LIF)
- Launch Control System (LCS)
- Quick Shift System (QSS) with upshift and downshift function
- Power mode selection system (PWR)
- Electronic Racing Suspension (ERS) (R1M only)
- Digital thin-film transistor (TFT) liquid crystal display
- Communication Control Unit (CCU) (standard equipment for R1M,
optional accessory for R1)
Yamaha bLU cRU Road Racing Contingency The 2020 R1M and R1 are eligible for Yamaha’s bLU cRU Road Racing Contingency Program. Registered riders can earn contingency payouts via a bLU cRU debit card, receive a 10 percent rebate on GYTR parts and accessory purchases of up to $1,000, and receive an instant $45 credit at http://www.bLUcRUswag.com.
For complete details on how to register for the Yamaha bLU cRU Road Racing Contingency Program visit https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/pages/blu-cru-road-race-membership-benefits.
To learn more about the 2020 Yamaha YZF-R1M and YZF-R1 visit https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/supersport/models/yzf-r1.
Find a range of Genuine Yamaha Accessories, apparel and more at https://www.shopyamaha.com.
For more information related to all Yamaha products, visit https://www.yamahamotorsports.com.